Introducing three products that might make you surf better, but will definitely make you smell nicer
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 19 December, 2016 - In the past few years heaps of products have hit the market that push the envelope of “necessary” surf gear, some of it good and some of it questionable - do we really need a special sock to help us put on wetsuits?
While we as surf consumers field a growing category of essential gear, we need to keep perspective. Some gear like surf leashes and removable fin systems were largely rejected at first, but have become staples to anyone looking to improve their time in the water.
To keep your body healthy so you can stay in the water and surf longer you need to keep your ears from closing up due to exostosis (wear your earplugs) and prevent sunburn and skin cancer (wear your sunblock). While earplugs and sunblock aren't performance products, they do keep us healthy.
The crew at EQ are expanding upon their line of surf earplugs and all-natural sunblock with a secondary, but soon to be just as essential, line of products - the EQ Action Line.
The new products range from shampoos to tonics, but for surf purposes the heavy hitters are a pre surf warm up gel to loosen muscles before your session; a post surf sore muscles relaxing gel and a skin saver to soothe sunburnt, dry post-session derma.
It might take some time to get used to the idea of using creams pre and post surf, but they help the body feel relaxed, loose and warm much the same way a post-surf yoga session makes one feel really good and loose. Below you’ll find the three new products and how they can help your body keep surfing.
The EQ Warm Up Toning Gel gives a long-lasting toning effect to help muscles perform at ‘warmed up’ peak. Particularly great for cold weather sessions the gel includes camphor, menthol and pepper extract to help heat up muscles. The star ingredient is the Tahitian monoi plant and edelweiss which both have skin-repairing properties. The Warm Up gel is also non greasy and non sticky.
FYI: All the products are certified Organic by Ecocert.
- Tahitian Monoï with Edelweiss: A combination between Tahitian Monoï and the Edelweiss flowers, also known as the Star of the Glaciers, with moisturizing, nourishing and repairing properties.
- Baobab Oil: Rare and very precious, extracted from the small seeds of Baobab fruits (Adansonia digitata), a tropical tree from Africa whose trunk with distinctive silhouette is stuffed with water, it is used for its emollient, softening, nourishing and repairing properties.
- Camphor: From the Camphor tree (Cinna-momum camphora), widely accepted as one of the better go-to pre-exercising products.
- Menthol: With toning and stimulating properties.
- Cayenne Pepper extract: Obtained from Cayenne pepper fruits, coming from Brazil, it is traditionally used for its warm-up effect helping with relaxation and the reducing of discomfort.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Miracle plant promoting hydration and a cooling-down effect for the driest skin. Perfect for daily care or ‘after exposure’ to climatic stressors.
The EQ SOS Soothing Cream is formulated, like the Warm Up Gel with Tahitian Monoi and Edelweiss which moisturize and help repair skin. But the heavy hitters in this mix is the aloe vera (which works great on sunburns) and other desert plants including ‘the resurrection plant’ and prickly pear. After feeling dried out from lengthy saltwater and sun exposure, this will help sooth sore skin immediately upon application.
- Myrothamnus flabellifolia extract, from the resurrection super plant of the desert, acts as a real booster, strengthening the skin barrier and promoting fast rehydration.
- Prickly Pear extract: Coming from Mexico, the highly purified extract stabilizes the cellular functions when stressed, improves skin hydration and promotes the reduction of rash.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Miracle plant promoting hydration and a cooling-down effect on the driest of skin.
- Kau Pe hydrolat (plant water) is rich in mucilage, and its flower has emollient, softening and refreshing properties.
- Baobab Oil: Extracted from the small seeds of Baobab fruits (Adansonia digitata), a tropical tree from Africa whose trunk with distinctive silhouette is stuffed with water. It is used for its emollient, softening, nourishing and repairing properties.
- Inca Inchi Oil: Extracted from the Plukenetia volubilis plant, native from the Amazon forest, is one of the richest oils in linolenic acid (ω3). Its exceptional level in essential fatty acids offers nourishing, softening and restructuring properties.
- Cocoa Butter: Coming from the chocolate manufacturing process, it brings softness and suppleness to the skin.
- Fairtrade Shea Butter: Rich in unsaturated fatty acids, phytosterols, vitamins and unsaponifiables, it offers nourishing and protective properties to the formula.
The Cryo Relaxing Gel is ideal for sore muscles. It’s light, stimulating and not greasy and heavy like your parents’ post-work out ointments Ben Gay or Tiger Balm. The emulsion works thanks to eucalyptus essential oils, camphor and menthol. It helps muscles relax by numbing sore areas to reduce discomfort. This product also has Tahitian Monoï with Edelweiss. It’s so strong that it’s not recommended for children under 6 years old.
- Tahitian Monoï with Edelweiss: A combination between Tahitian Monoï and the Edelweiss flowers with moisturizing, nourishing and repairing properties.
- Baobab Oil: Rare and very precious, extracted from the small seeds of Baobab fruits known for its emollient, softening, nourishing and repairing properties.
- Camphor: From the Camphor tree: (Cinnamomum camphora), traditionally used for the pre-exercising products.
- Menthol: With toning and stimulating properties.
- Eucalyptus essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus): Delivers toning and muscle stimulating effects.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Miracle plant promoting hydration and a cooling-down effects on the driest skin. Perfect for a daily care or after exposure to climatic stressors.
-Natural Alpha Bisabolol: With soothing properties, extracted from Candeia (Vanillosmopsis erythropappa) essential oil.